Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Actors can rap too???

"I'm Mr. Consistent, I have never come in intervals"
"The world is my playground, don't fuck with my swing set"

Striaght out of Toronto (Can you name 3 rappers out of Toronto?) the same guy who plays Jimmy from the show "Degrassi High", (don't ask me how I know this) is rapping and he's pretty good at it. I first noticed this man on a little ditty called "Replacement Girl" w/Trey Songz. (See vid below) Cute song but typical rap/pop track. Didn't even do him justice. However I was pleasantly suprised when I heard more tracks. My fav song, "Brand New" is a slow-tempo r&b track where he the normally cocky guys loses his confidence when he gets aorund his girl and has to ask "Is anything I'm doing brand new?" Maybe he should just drop r&b album.
Whatever.
I also like the "Don't You Have a Man" ft. home grown Dwele. Great summer track. You know, light snare drums, smooth hook, and the "I wanna get w/you" theme.
The Milli freestyle is dope too. This is over that Lil' Wayne track. This dude really has potential. Another breath of fresh air when a rapper has some sort of inteligence. This guy isn't using alot of nonsence curse -word filers when they can't find words to rhyme w/shit and bitch. I like the flavor that he brings to the rap game. No gimmick. No chaser. No filler. And variety.
Critics are dubbing him the next Will Smith because of his "boy next door" good looks and non-threatning rap lyrics. Personally w/the right production, I'd buy this album. Now all ol' boy needs is a major label deal. If Bootsie can do it, anybody can. Peep the tracks yourself: http://www.myspace.com/thisisdrake.com



This is great Drake performance. He's really talented and this is a nice sample.

No comments: